Wednesday, December 18, 2013

It's Time! The Meet the Bloggers Blog Hop is Here


Today's the day, you guys. It's time for all the pet bloggers to come out from behind their furry family members and give everyone a peek into their own lives, separate from the animals. (I know it's hard to believe, but I really do have more going on than being the local Crazy Dog Lady.)

Full instructions and badges/code can be found here, but basically you create your own post where you answer the questions and share a recent photo of yourself; then you link up to the hop, so you can visit the other bloggers and get to know them a little better.

This blog hop idea was partially born from a discussion regarding women—and pet bloggers (who tend to be women and do a good job of purposely putting their pets out in front)—having a non-stellar comfort & approval level of their physical selves.

We realized we were doing a lot of sitting around focusing on our own faults and avoiding putting ourselves out there. 99 million pix of the dog and none of you? We can do better.

And, yeah, this is the big scary internet (I really do not want to become the subject of a meme), but both the readers and the writers deserve something more.

Half the point of this exercise is to stop hiding--theoretically and physically--behind the dog, behind the cat, behind the kids, behind the chair, behind the table, behind the whatever-is-around-you-can-block-yourself-with, behind the keyboard. Stop criticizing everything you see in yourself (other people probably don't see those things anyway). It will improve your outlook on life, and it could improve your blog, too.

And this blog hop is an easy and fun way to get started.

So that's why I put together this little collection of photos that I admittedly do not love. Because there's actually nothing wrong with them, and there's nothing wrong with me, and there's nothing wrong with my favorite color being pink, and there's nothing wrong with the fact that--yes, actually--smiling IS my favorite (which is something that seems apparent to me as I look at them now, even though that's not what I was thinking when I first saw each one).



And there's nothing wrong with YOU either. And that's why you should join this blog hop.

A huge thank you goes out to all the other ladies also co-hosting this hop! My fabulous, beautiful, funny, super-smart co-hosts are...

Jodi from Kol's Notes
Amy from Go Pet Friendly
Mel from No Dog About It
Julie from The Daily Dog Blog
Kim from CindyLu's Muse
Leslie from Bringing Up Bella
Kristine from Rescued Insanity
Peggy from Peggy's Pet Place
Dawn from NEPA Pets
Jodi from Heart Like A Dog

Check out my answers to the Meet the Bloggers questions below and then get in on the fun yourself!


What's your favorite non-animal-related book? All-time fave is Ethan Frome. And I was really, really affected by Eat, Pray, Love.

What's your favorite non-animal-related movie? I don't have a favorite movie. I'm kind of weird about movies (much to Joey's dismay). However, there are flicks that I will watch whenever they are on like, Clueless, Legally Blonde, Elf, any of the Narnia movies, any of the LOTR movies, My Cousin Vinny, Army of Darkness, Old School, Anchorman, Spice World, Now & Then, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, and probably a bunch more that are not going to win any awards, but that I think are great. I'm 99% in it for the popcorn, to be honest.

What's your favorite non-animal-related food? Generally speaking, I feel like a meal is not a meal unless there's meat in it. And even my non-meat faves probably involve animal product/byproduct in some way. A vegan I am not. So I feel this leaves only veggies. Can I choose fries if not cooked in animal fat??? Potatoes are sort of maybe still a little bit of a vegetable. If pressed at gunpoint, I'd choose string beans. 

Who's your favorite actor? Tough call. There really is no one person whose shows/movies I will see no matter what. Probably closest to that is Leonardo DiCaprio, but I admit I'm biased because he's totally my boyfriend. Is Jon Stewart considered an actor? If so, he is also my favorite. And also my boyfriend. 

What's one thing you have to do every day? Eat breakfast. Cannot function without it. Also, put on Chapstick 498534985674986459869223465 times. And check for the sunrise and sunset. I try to catch both every day. You can see evidence of this on my Instagram feed and Facebook feed

What makes you feel fabulous? Doing something well. Eating incredible food. Tasting fabulous wine. Laughing. A beautiful pair of shoes that is also comfortable to walk in. When people notice the details I spent time focusing on. 

What do you wish you were more skilled at? Cooking. Time management. Multitasking. Gardening. Math. Having patience with people. 

What's your favorite holiday? 4th of July & NYE. I LOVE fireworks. There's some associations here with my husband, too, but I'm not going to get all gross and romantical on you. 

What's your favorite meal? All of the things. No, but seriously, definite three-way tie between giant platters of meat & cheese, tacos, and Thanksgiving dinner.

What do you like to do in your free time? Eat and drink and watch TV. I freakin love TV. But I wish we went hiking more.

What one word would people who know you use to describe you? Neurotic. 

If your pets could talk, what one word would THEY use to describe you? Busy.

What is one thing you've done that you're most proud of? This is less about one specific thing I've done but I'm pretty satisfied with my editorial career. I'm proud of where I am today in my work life.

How is your pet most like you? We both love cheese, and we're both freezing all the time.

What can your body do for you that makes you most proud? Um ... metabolize food? I love food. I love that we can taste and enjoy food. Walking's good too. I like that my body can walk semi-long distances.

If you could change one thing about your life what would it be? More freedom to do what I really want to do, and not what other people want/expect me to do, would be a-maze-ing. Oh, and I'd throw or give away even more of our belongings than we already have. I still feel overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff. I do not feel minimalist enough yet.

Other than blogging, what are three things you do that bring you joy? Have I mentioned anything about eating food yet?? Also drinking of wine. Good wine. Like, yummy wine that was made with care and love, not necessarily expensive/fancy wine (although I am not opposed to that!). I am done buying crap wine. Life is too short, and I enjoy it too much. Finally, cooking while watching the sunset--which I can do in our kitchen--because I love both activities, so the combination is super. And if I can do that while drinking good wine? That is the stuff dreams are made of. I love the view from our house, and I appreciate it more than ever. And no hurricane can take away my wine--because I will evacuate with that obviously.

What's one thing you could do to be more kind to yourself? Stop comparing myself to everyone else. And stop agreeing to things I don't really want to agree to.

What drives you nuts about your pets? The never-ending whining and puking. The RE-AC-TIV-I-TY. 
What melts your heart? That face. His love of snuggling. His rare moments of obvious joy.

If you didn't have your current pets, what pets would you choose to have? Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear. Here's where this blog hop goes south for me, eh? Desmond has provided some ... challenges. As has life in general (through no fault of his). So, here is my possibly-best-kept secret. I really don't think I would choose to have any pets at this point if we didn't have Des. Like, if everything were the exact same in my life, minus Des, I'm pretty sure I'd opt for a pet rock. Even the Chia gnome is too much for me right now. I do have a dream of fostering senior dogs later in life, but that's not really the question, is it? OK, now I just feel like a bad dog mom, bad dog blogger, and bad dog-trainer-type. Can someone send me some good wine & cheese to make me feel better?


Now that you have subjected yourself to all of THAT, why not go for some more? I bet some of the other bloggers will have equally incredibly entertaining things to tell you. Hit the blog hop below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis