Friday, August 24, 2012

Viva La Dog Spa Facial Wipes Review

I don't know about you, but I have a gross, stinky dog.

He is not stinky because we do not bathe him; he is stinky because he's a dog. We accept this, but at the same time, we don't think we should have to just live with it. Especially if we're going to have company. Or if Des is going to visit someone.

We practice the once-a-month bath rule, bringing Des to the groomer for a pro job about one out of three times. Clearly, we can't schedule all of Desmond's socializing around his bathing routine, so we need a solution for keeping him less gross in between baths. When these wipes came along, I figured why not give them a shot?

Previously, we've used travel wipes and an in-between spray, but Desmond doesn't like being sprayed with stuff in general and the travel wipes dried out because we were being stingy about using them all too soon/fast (entirely defeating the purpose).

Viva La Dog facial wipes come in a tub with a lid you can reseal. They're not as big as the travel wipes, which were bigger than my hand. They're not as small as a human's medicated cleansing pad, though.

Cute, for sure
For the doggie face, they're a good size, but using them to keep Desmond's body clean would be a little silly. Not that they are meant to do that, but I can't come up with any reason why you couldn't use them on the body. Granted, if you have a smaller dog than Des, I think you'd be just fine either way.

As part of this review, I was asked to fill out a questionnaire about the wipes. I captured a screen shot of my responses before I submitted it and thought I'd share it with you guys.

You can click on it to make it bigger if you can't read it

It's hard to judge how well they work in a sense of removing dirt, because Desmond's face doesn't get dirty in an obvious way. He doesn't have a beard or ears that land in his food and he's not one to stick his face into things that are dirty. I wish I had the chance to try them out on Des after a romp at the park, but it slipped my mind (and I have since passed along the wipes to a friend whose dog could benefit from them more).

Scent-wise, they smelled like something a woman would use, which is to say not super dog friendly and certainly not super male dog friendly. They were quite strong--too strong for a dog, I thought. I was taken aback by the strength of the smell, so I can't imagine what Desmond was thinking. Although he didn't turn away from the tub when I opened it or the wipe when I used it on his face.

After I was done cleaning him up, he got right to trying to lick it off of himself. That was rather amusing, but it also made me think he wasn't a big fan of the wipes, and I wondered if that was even safe.

I do love the idea of a wipe in general, so I'll have to continue my search for The One. If I can get Desmond a little bit cleaner in between baths, I will feel less like a weirdo in regards to our pillow-sharing habit.

What's mine is yours and what's yours is yours

If you want to learn a little more about Viva La Dog Spa or the wipes, check out their website and Facebook page. Or you can look at this adorable flyer that came with my package:

Again, you can click to make it bigger

Finally, you can take a look at another pet blogger's review of this product over at Raising Rama.

FTC disclaimer: We were sent a free container of face wipes for Desmond in exchange for our honest opinion of the product. No payment was received.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis