Monday, July 2, 2012

Greenies Review

[sidebar] Not that I'm sure you can take a sidebar before you even begin a post, but I'm doing it anyway. The font sizes and spacing appear to have taken on a life of their own in this post. I have no idea what I did or how to make it be normal again, but I assume it's a one-time-only thing and future posts will return to normal. Apologies! [end sidebar]

Before I get into the review itself, I want to let you all know that we here at Life With Desmond are officially part of Mr. Chewy's Blogger Club.



This means we'll be working with Mr. Chewy for product reviews on a repeat basis. We have had nothing but great experiences with the folks at Mr. Chewy (They quickly & easily refunded my money after I bought some treats that were made in China, which I didn't know until I got the package. It was completely my own fault, but they were gracious. So lovely.), so I look forward to continuing to share our product opinions with everyone.

This time around, we're talking about Greenies dental treats. This is our first time trying Greenies, even though I have often picked them up at the store and even carried them around while contemplating buying them--they never made it to the cashier.

Image provided by mrchewy.com
Because Desmond is over 50 pounds, we got ourselves some large-size Greenies, though I really did contemplate going with the extra-large size, since Desmond inhales things. I just wasn't sure if there was a reason why going bigger would be bad (too much dental-chew magic?), so I didn't rock the boat.

Image used with permission of mrchewy.com

If you're not familiar with Greenies dental treats (which come in diet and senior varities, as well as kitty treats), you'll be happy to hear that they were developed with the help of a board certified veterinary nutritionist.

They're meant to be given to your pup once a day, which means we had eight days' worth of dental treats. That's not really enough time to know if they're doing their job, but I did make sure to poke my head into Desmond's mouth on the first day and take a look at the state of his teeth. 

Honestly, he's got a pretty good mouth, so there won't be much of a change to see, but perhaps his breath will be less stinky and some of the plaque that I saw will be gone. Time will tell.*

According to the official Greenies info:

The unique chewy formulation allows your dog’s teeth to sink in, which maximizes contact with tooth surfaces effectively disrupting the plaque and tartar buildup that leads to periodontal disease. Filled with highly soluble proteins that break down into smaller teeth cleaning, easy-to-swallow, and digestible bits, Greenies also delivers a balanced blend of vitamins and minerals in each and every bite.

Sounds good, right? Let's take it to the pictures!

Desmond was all crazy sniffing these things from the start.






To the point where he knocked over the bag with his nose a few times.


I am pretty sure if he could curse me out, he'd be doing so here.


After I opened the plastic zipper thing, we had salivating. And cuteness.


I'm highly amused by the toothbrush shape. It doesn't take much to entertain me.


I took this opportunity to practice a drop-it, which he completed successfully. Good doggie.


Love this pic. He looks so scraggly--and hungry.


I finally stop torturing him and he decides to stare at it for a while. Oh, Desmond.


But that didn't last.


He really enjoyed his Greenie, which I knew based on the large puddle of drool that was left in its wake (I did take a pic of that, but I decided it was too gross. Be happy I like you guys.).


By the way, yes, that is dog hair all over the floor. And, yes, we have swept since this pic was taken (don't freak out, Mom K. & Mom F.)!


A closer look at the treat and a size comparison, in case you're curious. As I mentioned, these are the large treats. If you have no idea what you're looking at, that's my digital-camera case.

*I wrote everything above this line almost a week before I wrote the following stuff, so that I could give a better assessment of the treats. Moving on...

I've been giving one to Des every day, and he still really likes them. He follows me to the shelf where I keep the bag and then gets so excited as I walk out of that room and closer to where I want him to eat his Greenie, that he is basically pushing me forward as he headbutts me in the back of the knees. 

He is a food-motivated pup, but he doesn't get overly excited about everything we offer him. I love seeing him all worked up like that--I find it hilarious. And it cracks me up to see the drool spots on whatever surface is below his mouth as I make him wait or perform tricks before giving him the treat. I told you, I'm easily amused.


So Des likes Greenies. Awesome. Do I like Greenies? Yes. They are not a super long-lasting chew--although they do not claim to be--but they do take him a couple of minutes to finish. That's a couple minutes of occupied dog. I'll take it. Also, they smell kind of good. I mean, I don't want to put them in my mouth or anything, but they don't smell Dog Treat Offensive. A welcome characteristic. 


Did they work? I think so! Mr. Des has slightly cleaner teeth after eight days of munchin' on some Greenies. I imagine that if you used them regularly, you'd be able to get away with brushing the pup's teeth a few less times a year. If you have a dog that really really really hates getting his teeth brushed, I'd say to pick up some of these bad boys.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis