Wednesday, June 1, 2011

yummy doggie cookie recipe

for anyone who didn't see that aunt jane posted the recipe for those cute & delicious cookies as a comment on another post, i'm sharing here. truth be told, this is way too much work for me, so i'll be leaving the doggie cookie baking to her. i'll stick with simply giving the dog the treats. :-)




Recipe: Remember, this is just a basic pet treat recipe. I dabble with it, as you should and create different flavor variations. The one I made for Des is below:

Preheat oven to 325.

2 ripe bananas cut up
1 cup peanut butter (I used crunchy)
1 table spoon honey (you can also use molasses, it's great for dogs)
1 cup cornmeal (fine or rough...I used fine)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or whole wheat flower) NOTE: you will have to add more flower for sure. I find that once I start mixing the dough, it is always too wet to work with, so I gradually add more flower as I go along.
1 cup water (or milk, if you prefer)
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon

1 egg (or egg white, beaten)

Spray two baking sheets with cooking spray.

Combine all ingredients, except egg, in a large bowl. Mix. Use a fork to "cut" the banana into the dough. If they are ripe enough this will be quite easy. Once everything is mixed start to knead (add more flower as you go, aim to get the dough not sticky). Flower a work surface then dump the dough ball out. Knead some more. Rub a rolling pin with flower. Roll the dough out to about a quarter inch thickness. Cut out shapes. Bunch up holey dough and roll out again. Repeat until you use up all the dough. If a little dough is left make a noodle shape. It'll bake up nicely as well.

Lay out your cookies on the prepped sheets. Egg wash the tops of cookies so they bake up shiny and brown.

Cookies will bake for about 30 minutes. However, if you want a crunchier treat (although, I know Des doesn't like things too too hard), turn off the heat after allotted time and leave the treats in the oven until oven cools down completely or overnight. (I did not do that, in this case.) As I mentioned, keep treats in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. Airtight container or a ziplock bag works great.

Some different ingredients to try:
jarred baby food (chicken of beef)
peanuts
apple sauce
beef or chicken bullion cube added to the water
beef or chicken stock instead of the water
dried parsley (great for fighting doggy breath)
rolled oats
shredded cheddar cheese
grated carrot
carob (I've never used this--it is a chocolate substitute and is OK for dogs to eat. However, I don't know where to get it. My guess? Health-food store)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis